Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Drowning Sailor

The Drowning Sailor

By Michael Brookbank


It’s another wave to push me under

Into the Cold Black Sea

And I try to hold onto the breath

Instead of the Line cast out in front of me


Because there is a fear

That this will be my last one

My last warm breath

To move inside my lungs


The very thought seems foolish

But being a fool is what got me here

Other men warned me of the danger

But I didn’t listen to a word that entered my ears


Only the words that exited my mouth

That I used to convince myself to believe

That I knew what I was diving into

And that I was ready for this indeed.


But water has never felt so cold

Nor the sun seem so dim

The waves move me back and forth

Until I finally accept that this is the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment