Sunday, January 9, 2011

songs

Ok. So before you read this poem I want to explain myself. The other night I was listening to a band called Listener and basically it's a guy performing his poetry in front of some sweet music, and I was like, "You know what? I want to try writing a poem that I could perform someday." And so to make it easy on myself (since I'm a beginner and all) I wrote this in couplets, which is something I'm not used to, since I typically write in free verse.

Also this poem is very different, because when I started to write it I was letting my Pride get the best of me, instead of trying to give God praise, but as I continued through the writing process I realized what I was doing and transformed it into an honest confession about how I shouldn't be writing to get people's approval especially if it's for some girl, because what I truly need is a better relationship with Christ. You can see the change in tone at couplet 4. I would say that I hope you all like it, but that would kind of contradict the meaning of this poem... so do what you will! haha



songs by michael brookbank

i've written down words, and i've screamed them in songs
but these lines you've never heard, and these melodies don't belong

with the rhythm of your heart, that somewhere lost time
make the beat restart and i'll take back what is mine,

because everything i said was said in vain,
and i'll be dead before you can think of my name

so i want your eyes to feed on my words that you'd never read,
but this is not something i need. you're not something i need.

i need a Love that gives me a breath, instead of one that takes away
a Love that surpasses death, instead of one that parts my dying day

and if the world sings me a song, it'll cry "mi(sery) fa(mine) mi(sery)"
i promise i won't listen long, just like you didn't listen to my melody

because i've heard every song before, except a Love Song no ear has heard
with so much Beauty in store, who needs the song of sirens or birds?

1 comment:

  1. Explanation of the "mi(sery) fa(mine) mi(sery)" : Johannes Kepler said in one of his books that the Earth sung Mi Fa Mi and that “singing” Mi Fa Mi could truly stand for Misery, Famine, Misery and ultimately, that is the song the Earth and Venus continued to sing. Misery, referring to an empty place and Famine, referring to the appetite or thirst for things."

    ReplyDelete